Ok, so I decided to experiment - aren't you proud?! I took the scone recipe as posted previously, and figured, it seems like a pretty basic scone recipe, so I can probably change in to whatever scones I want! Attempt #1 was not as successful, though still edible. So, basic scone recipe, just disregard the lemon portion of things. I used brown sugar instead of white sugar, added some hazelnut syrup (about 1/4 cup+), and about 1/3 of a bag of toffee bits. Once I rolled it out and cut it in to wedges, I brushed caramel sauce on top and baked it for the correct time. Several issues: This batch turned out dry and fairly floury on the outside. I think I kneaded it too much and in too much flour. The caramel topping was good, but a bit sticky. The scone itself was good, but not sweet enough, and pretty dense.
So, back for attempt #2 - SO much better! I used white sugar on this one instead of the previously used brown sugar and increased it from the specified amount, probably about 1/4 cup. I added more toffee bits, around 1/2 of the bag (this came from dumping a bunch in, looking at it, deciding it wasn't enough, and then dumping more in! :D) I added about 1/4 cup of hazelnut syrup, and increased the milk by a couple of tablespoons due to the increase in volume from the toffee. I only kneaded it like twice in a small amount of flour and decided against using caramel on the top. They came out awesome! Good consistency and just the right amount of sweetness. Thanks to E. and A. for being my guinea pigs for both batches and giving great feedback. :D