Saturday, February 11, 2012

Crepes / Cinnamon Cream Syrup

Today is a two-for-one deal! Crepes are one of my favorite foods, because they are so versatile. There aren't many food items that you can use for both a fancy main dish and dessert! Plus, when I'm running low on meal ideas, I usually have everything I need to make crepes already on hand. And the Cinnamon Cream Syrup, for serious guys, makes anything you but it on taste like the world's best cinnamon roll. I usually use it for pancakes, but it could go on just about any breakfast food you prefer.

Crepes

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
  3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.



Crepes are pretty basic and come in all kinds of recipe varieties. I like this version because it uses less milk, and honestly, when I'm about to run out of groceries and we don't shop for another couple of days, milk is the thing that I'm usually short on! ;) I tend to add a bit more sugar then the recipe calls for, because I do tend to like slightly sweeter crepes. All you have to do is put all the ingredients in a blender, blend for a minute or two, and voila! My preferred crepes combinations are: Eggs Benedict Crepes for the main course, and Cream Cheese filled crepes with jam for dessert. For the Eggs Benedict, just add ham, an egg (fried, scrambled, whatever), sprinkle some cheese on top, and drizzle with Bearnaise sauce. But really, any savory combination you prefer will work. There is a crepe place that just opened up in Jackson (City Crepes for anyone who is wondering), and I had one there that was cream cheese, turkey, bacon, spinach and tomatoes. Fantastico! They put the ingredients on top of the crepe after you flip it so that it gets all warm and melty. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! 


Cinnamon Cream Syrup

Ingredients

  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple flavored extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in cream, brown sugar, maple extract and cinnamon. Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes. Serve warm.



If you're looking for a sweeter option, try filling crepes with homemade cream cheese frosting/filling. Then heat your favorite jam in the microwave until hot and drizzle it over the filled crepe. Or, try it with some Cinnamon Cream Syrup! No extra butter needed for this syrup, ladies and gentlemen - with 5 tablespoons already in it, I think you're covered. :p The recipe says it makes enough syrup for 8. I don't know about you, but I like a LOT of syrup on my pancakes, this recipe usually serves about 3. :p
I'm not sure in what universe the syrup thickens up in 3-4 minutes! Try 10-15, and even then, it's not as thick as regular syrup. It does get thicker when you use the heavy cream, but if you are looking for a lighter option, it is equally tasty using half and half. Other than that, follow as directed, serve, and enjoy!

So what are you watching these days? My two favorites at the moment are "Jane by Design" and "Hart of Dixie". They are by no means stellar shows, but I love them because they are sweet, and yes, somewhat predictable. What can I say, I am a sucker for happy endings. I WANT the heroine to always win at the end of my 45 minutes of viewing! Truthfully, I watch wayyyyyyy too many shows. Sidereel is my best of friends - it has this wonderful tracking calender, which tells me when I have new episodes of each show. I currently have THIRTY shows on my Sidereel calender, and that is not including anything that I have going on Netflix.(though I should point out that is total shows, which includes ones like Leverage, Fairly Legal, and Covert Affairs, which are in hiatus). How do I have a life, you must wonder! (don't worry, I wonder the same thing!). A lot of shows I get behind on, and then catch up during the millions of hiatusi (that is the plural of hiatus, right? :P) that shows decide to take during the year. Some shows get dropped (America's Next Top Model - just couldn't handle Tyra anymore!), some shows get added (Smash is the current new one, we'll see if it sticks around), and others just hang out (Unforgettable, which I have watched the first episode and can't decide if I like it or not, so I haven't watched any more episodes :P).
Brean and I together are watching House, Once Upon a Time (which actually does get better at about episode 4 or 5!), Revenge, Lois and Clark, and, secrety of secrets, he will watch the tail end of the Bachelor with me. All that being said, I am now off to catch up on Extreme Couponing! (while I clean the kitchen...I'm all about multitasking while watching shows!)

Factoid of the day - my Doofenschmirtz still loves me, even though today was bath day, and he reeeeeally didn't prefer getting wet, despite the fact that he loves playing in water and dumping out his water bowl. He came and cuddled with me, while frantically trying to lick every hair back into it's original place. At least now he smells like coconuts, and is oh so soft!

No comments:

Post a Comment